Friday, July 11, 2008

Task Four

Finally a real racing day. All the Hawaii pilots got up and got high, finally cracking 7 grand here, and we were all able to run at least partway along the course. I don't think any of us made it to the third turnpoint - I was headed that way, but retreated back towards the valley when it was clear I was too low in the strong headwind to get back up safely, and landed . . . at the vineyard again. I've landed there more often than anywhere else in the comp. I shared a nice bottle of Syrah with Conrad from Seattle while waiting for retrieve. The valley winds got quite strong today and people who were trying to work low on the ridges were getting into trouble - three pilots (at least) ended up in trees, thankfully unhurt. An exciting day for everyone - glad the weather is finally giving us some good conditions to get high.

1 comment:

JeffMc said...

Thanks for the updates Alex, June, and Nick! Makes me wanna go next year (already in the works)

Wow - getting all "hoity-toity" on us, with your Syrah at the LZ? I feel so uncouth now, with my Sierra Nevada now. :)

-Jeff