Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Second task day

Another challenging day, high pressure still building, no clouds, ratty bullet thermals capped by a low inversion. They called a similar task to yesterday. June and Nick both had a much tougher time following the course, and ended up at the LZ pretty early. Somehow I got to the right place (high) at the right time (start opening) and got a good early position to head out. I made four of the six turnpoints before goal but ended up pushing low into a strong headwind for the fifth one. I was high enough to scout a decent field for outlanding, and I just happened to pick . . . the big field behind the Longsword vineyard. Oh please, don't throw me in the briar patch! Turns out there was a pilot already there, relaxing in the shade under a tree, and he is a former student of Scottie Gee on the Big Island, living in Mexico now. June and Nick and Czech Pete joined me for a few bottles of wine at the vineyard, and then we went back to HQ to turn in our GPS units for scoring. What a nice day. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

No comments: